Saturday, September 14, 2013

Chocolarge Cookies

Jumbo Dairy-Free Choc-chip Cookies












This week's bake is evidence of the fact that my choc-chip cravings were not purged by last week's dessert. Apparently decadent layers of cookie and mousse were not enough for my brain and I wanted, no I needed, more. I had to go bigger and better; enter the Chocolarge biscuits.

How to put this delicately?
Can't.
These biscuits are not delicate.

They are large. Jumbo sized in fact. They are nobly, with dark chocolate bits springing from every crevasse and crease. They take up an entire side plate, a whole palm and simply cannot be popped into your mouth in one bite. That is why I am nominating them for the circus under the iconic big top. Why the circus? Because these biscuits are the David Cookiefields...I mean Copperfields...of the biscuit world. They are Grande Illusion Masters with an epic, show-stopping vanishing act. How do these large, chunky cookies disappear before your very eyes you ask? Put a plate full of them on your table and find out for yourself! I am also going to let you in on the secret behind this magic trick. I am aware that I am breaking some sacred magician code, so all I ask is that you lean in close so that I can whisper it to you...a little bit closer...little closer...okay you ready?

Magician Secret #101 Exposed: Maple syrup!

This addition takes the humble chocolate chip cookie to an addictive place. Despite one cookie being four times the normal size of an average biscuit you simply wont be able to stop at one. Oh, you will try and you will even invoke the ol' sweet-tooth mantra: "I'm just breaking off a piece of that second biscuit. Okay just a little more. Now I have to even it up. Well it is practically gone and I never start something that I don't finish, because I am no quitter. Oh dear, it is gone!"

FYI: The irony of putting these over sized chocolarge cookies into a dainty French biscuit tin is not lost on me. No doubt, the French would be horrified by their ginormous size as their food motto is "Food is to be enjoyed; in tiny portions".
To that end, I dare them to try stop at just one tiny nibble, it is simply not possible. My dream is that these biscuits will revolutionize their food motto:"J'adore le Chocogrande, must have a-mour!"

Chocolarge Cookies:

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
185g margarine, melted and cooled
1 egg beaten lightly
1 egg yolk beaten lightly
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons maple syrup
230g dark chocolate roughly chopped

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line 3 large oven trays with baking paper.
Mix the flours and sugars into a large bowl. Add the combined margarine, whole egg, egg yolk, vanilla and maple syrup and mix together with a wooden spoon until a soft dough forms. Stir through the chopped chocolate.

Using slightly dampened hands (this helps to handle the dough), roll 2 teaspoons of biscuit batter into balls. Be warned; this dough is very soft and sticky, so as part of the baking process you will be required to eat the cookie dough off your fingers  (I know it is a tough job, but someone has to do it!)

Place the cookie dough balls 6cm apart on the tray (they spread a lot!) and bake for 15 minutes.
Cool on racks, then place a pile on your kitchen table and watch your very own magic show take place! Abra-cookie- dabra!

No comments:

Post a Comment