Thursday, October 10, 2013

Baileys Cupcakes

Baileys Baked Shots
 
Despite the fact that I am not the worlds biggest drinker (alcohol or water for that matter) I do enjoy using the odd splash of liquor in my baking expeditions. Before I go any further, I have to confess: I have an unstoppable urge to provide a disclaimer with this post. I am unsure whether this urge is driven by having a lawyer as a husband, or by virtue of the fact that I am a teacher, but nevertheless here it is:

BAKEWRITE DISCLAIMER:  As per the Duty of Care Code (that all teachers live by) it is necessary to mention that this weeks baking daliance is rated R (Ridiculously good!) and should only be cupcake-slammed by people over the age of 18. Further, while these mini cupcakes last for days, as time wears on the alcoholic flavour tends to strengthen exponentially. So please, on day number four do not eat and drive, nor operate heavy Kenwood machinery.

Now we can safely (and legally) move on. Something I often forget to mention is that along with being an English teacher, I also like to travel to the past (and Bake To the Future) teaching children History. A common symptom of Historyitis Teachersorous (that is the Latin name of course) is that the person becomes fixated on discovering the origins of baked goods and ingredients. When designing my Baileys infused cupcakes, I began to ponder; why is it called "Baileys"? I began to imagine that perhaps, once upon a time, someone had drunk a lot of this Irish cream, landed themself in jail after some racous behaviour and had to be bailed out by a friend. Upon stumbling out of the lockup this person declared "Thanks for the bail-eeessss!" Thus, the name was born. 

Okay, so that sounded better in my head and with a loose theory in the bag I did what all good historians do, I began my exhaustive and comprehensive hunt into the dusty, mothball scented History archives (which started and ended in the same place: Wikipedia). The truth behind the name is far less fascinating than my dodgy imagination. In fact, like my tolerance to alcohol, the name "Baileys" is fictional and named after a less than reputable hotel.  

Really
Cue mass disappointment. 
One solution only: Time to drown my sorrows in another delectably naughty shot of baileys cupcake.  

Cupcakes:

250g butter, chopped
1 cup caster sugar
4 eggs
3/4 cup self-raising flour
3/4 cup plain flour
1/2 cup Baileys Irish Cream

Preheat the oven to 190 degrees. Line two mini cupcake trays with liners (the recipe makes about 40 mini cupcakes, that is a lot of shots of Baileys and should be consumed responsibly...one after another in fast succession of course!). Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at time, making sure that you beat well after each addition. Sift flours together and using the mixer fold into the batter alternating with the Baileys Irish Cream (I find it is always best to end with the flour). Fill each cupcake case 3/4 way to the top (I just used teaspoons, but if you wanted to be accurate you could use a melon baller or small ice-cream scooper). Put the trays into the oven for 14-16 minutes until they turn light brown and bounce back when pressed gently in the center. Remove from the tin and put them onto cooling racks.

It is also possible to use this batter in cake from. To do this pour the batter into a 20cm round spring form tin and bake for 45 minutes.

Icing:

250g butter softened
3 cups sifted icing sugar
4 tablespoons Baileys
2 tablespoons cocoa powder 
Packet of malt balls (I used Maltesers)

In a mixer, beat the butter and icing sugar until the mixer is smooth. Note: if the butter is too cold it will form tiny bumps. If needs be, put the butter into the microwave for 5 seconds just to soften it, but be careful, you do not want it melted as this will change the consistency of the icing. Once the butter and icing sugar are smooth and creamy, add the Baileys and cocoa powder until fully combined. Once the cupcakes are cool, pipe* (or spread) a generous amount of icing onto each cake and top with a Malteser. 

Knock back these Baileys shots one delicious bite at a time!

*Side note: I have always been against piping. This is due to the fact that I have had some shocking experiences over the years (think exploding piping bags and icing on the floor, ceilings, myself and NOT the goods that was actually supposed to iced!) Recently my grandmother (aka: 91 year old baking Matriarch) gave me a cheap piping set from the supermarket...and it changed my life! While my icing is not perfect, I was pretty pleased for a first attempt and will now ice baked goods without hesitation and fear. My pipeline dream has become a pipeswirl reality!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment