Sunday, August 11, 2013

Mini Milo Cheesecakes

My-high cheesecakes


Now that I have overcome my aforementioned cheesecake "Fear and Loathing Syndrome", I have embraced the wonderful world of cheesecake possibilities. These mini cheesecakes are an ode to my enduring and everlasting love for Milo. With a crunchy, Milo biscuit base and richly decadent Milo infused cheesecake, this creation is truly the physical manifestation of my-lo dreams come true.

Before I go any further I feel the need to write an open letter to the people who are responsible for the naming of this delightful and iconic product in order to air a deep seeded grievance.

Dear Mr. Milo Pty Ltd,

While sensational in flavour, you have the wrong name for your product, it should not be called Milo, but rather Myhi(gh). I wish to outline the reasons for this change (which are threefold) below:

1. When feeling low, Milo lifts the spirits, making you feel high.

2.The perfect milk to Milo ratio should be indicated in the name of the product. In the "Milk to Milo" ratio, the higher the amount of Milo the better (think, Milo-powder-plumes-when-you-cough, high). As an English teacher I feel comfortable sharing the following mathematical formula to demonstrate my point:

1:3 = good
1:5  = better
1:100 = best

In case you are not a wonderful mathematician (like moi; which is French for "I am Pythagoras") the layman's translation for this equation is basically: less milk + more Milo = MyHi-happiness 

3. Milo is quite frankly, and simply, My-High. I'm sure I am not alone in this assertion, so perhaps it should be called Allhi(gh).

Your Sincerely, but not truly,

H. 

While Mr. Milo Pty Ltd considers my proposal, I will leave you with this final thought: there are no "lo"s to these mini cheesecakes. They are high on flavour, texture and, of course, Myhi (the malt formerly known as Milo).

Milo Biscuit Base (A Pound of Flour)

125g butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup caster sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup Milo (plus extra to sprinkle)

Heat the oven to 160 degrees. Cream the butter and both sugars together. Add beaten eggs and vanilla, then fold through the sifted flour and Milo. Roll the mixture into balls and flatten slightly, sprinkling the tops with some extra Milo powder. Bake for 10 minutes to get a soft biscuits or 15 minutes for a firmer one (my preference for biscuits is ALWAYS crunchy!) This recipe makes around 30 biscuits, but you will only need 12 for the cheesecakes. You can freeze the rest and eat them at leisure, or leave them out on the kitchen bench and they will disappear into the Bermuda Triangle of cookie lovers.

Milo Cheesecake

250g Light Cream Cheese
395g can condensed milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup Milo

Beat the cheese until smooth. Add the condensed milk, lemon juice and Milo. Beat until smooth (it will still have the granules of Milo, but so long as the cheese and condensed milk are combined).

Line a muffin tray with 12 cupcake cases. Place a cooled Milo biscuit at the bottom of each one and then spoon the Cheesecake mixture into the cases (you can fill almost to the top as it doesn't rise much in the oven). Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven leaving them to cool in the muffin tray.

Enjoy them with a tall glass of chilled milk (and if you are a true Myhi, add some Milo to the milk too!)   




No comments:

Post a Comment